• COMMUNITY • IMMERSIVE DANCE • WOMEN's EMPOWERMENT •
p r e s s
We are LEGACY FATALE
Director/Founder * COCO DOLLE * All Images Copyright ©legacyfatale2008 *
* * * * *
LEGACY FATALE is a performance art project exploring concepts of territorialities, matrilineage and the politics of resistance. Directed by artist Coco Dolle since 2008, Legacy Fatale offers an egalitarian punk female leadership with multi-sensory practices garnering an international roster of dancers and creatives, while uniting its utopian, conscientious post-feminist dream. Integrating social dance practices with modern dance vocabulary, the group's performances range from site-specific choreographies, to ceremonial happenings and art installations.
Legacy Fatale pays homage to honor a global buried matriarchal lineage. Legacy Fatale was named after the legacy of women's history and oppression - fatale being used as a popular denomination stemming from women in film noir, where female characters were used as pivotal criminals enticing trouble-making and dramas. 'Cherchez la femme!' We have been long labeled as the sinners since the dawn of male-centered religions - Fatale is our given fate not our inherent nature.
Through dance techniques and group movement therapy, our performances tackle the phenomenology of the body and the construction of social practice revisiting contemporary dance, pagan rituals, ceremonial processions and leadership. Performers and talents are gathered throughout the year. Each projects is geared towards raising community awareness and embraces a multi-cultural approach. Media installations are designed to a reinterpretation of art history, re-contextualizing notions of worship, feminisms, and iconographies in public spaces.
Legacy Fatale's mission is to nurture inclusiveness, dance healing, female empowerment and positive sexuality in local communities.
- THE QUEENS MUSEUM, 'Unbound Feminism & Territorialities', NYC, 2016
- CZECH EMBASSY/CULTURAL CENTER, 'New Bohemia/Thunder', NYC, 2016
- ARTS IN BUSHWICK/COMMUNITY, 'Presentation', Brooklyn, 2016
- GRACE EXHIBITION SPACE/WOMEN IN THE ARTS, 'The March of the Women/The Lasso of Truth', Brooklyn, NY 2016
- ROSEKILL/21ST SUFFRAGETTES Festival, 'Blood to the Moon', NY 2016
- MANCHESTER ART GALLERY/WONDER WOMAN FESTIVAL/Alexandra Arts, Manchester, United Kingdom, 2016
- SENSEI GALLERY/Animamus Art Salon,'Mirror', Chinatown, NYC 2015
- LUTHERAN CHURCH/PERVASIVE FEMINISMS, 'Legacy Fatale', Brooklyn, NY 2015
- ARMORY SHOW, 'Guerrilla performances', Pier 92, NY 2015
- LINCOLN CENTER/Mercedes Benz Pavillion, 'Guerilla action', NYC 2014
- SELECT FAIR/MIAMI ART BASEL, 'Guerilla performances', Miami, FL 2014
- ARMORY SHOW/FOUNTAIN ART FAIR, 'Legacy Fatale III', NY 2009
- MIAMI ART BASEL/WYNWOOD, 'Disruptive Quest for a Goldfish', FL 2009
- MIAMI ART BASEL/FOUNTAIN ART FAIR,'Legacy Fatale II', Miami, FL 2008
- GLASSLANDS GALLERY,'Legacy Fatale presents LF', Brooklyn, NY 2008
- DEITCH PROJECTS/ART PARADE, 'Legacy Fatale I', NY 2008
GRANTS / RESIDENCIES
- 2016 Artist-in-Residence, GRACE EXHIBITION SPACE, Brooklyn, NY
- 2016 International Grant/Artist-in-residence, ARTS COUNCIL ENGLAND/ALEXANDRA ARTS, UK
- 2015 Artist-in-residence, SENSEI GALLERY, NYC
- 2014 Artist-in-residence/Special Project, SELECT FAIR, Miami Art Basel, Miami, FL